I35 pile up

I35 pile up DEFAULT

NTSB: I-35W in Fort Worth was treated with brine solution before deadly 135-car pileup

NTSB: I-35W in Fort Worth was treated with brine solution before deadly 135-car pileup

The southbound lanes of Interstate 35W were treated with a brine solution before a deadly 135-car pileup during February’s winter storm, according to a preliminary investigation.

FORT WORTH, Texas - The southbound lanes of Interstate 35W were treated with a brine solution before a deadly 135-car pileup during February’s winter storm, according to a preliminary investigation.

The National Transportation Safety Board released its preliminary report on the crash Wednesday.

The massive pileup happened on the morning of Feb. 11 on the southbound side of I-35W near Northside Drive, north of downtown.

RELATED: 6 dead, dozens injured in I-35W pileup in Fort Worth involving 135 vehicles

Drivers who were reportedly traveling at a high rate of speed ventured onto slick roads coated with a thin sheet of ice from freezing rain that had fallen overnight and into the early morning hours.

Cars, trucks and 18-wheelers collided one after another for a crash scene that stretched for nearly a mile. Six people lost their lives and dozens were injured.

RELATED: Victims identified, survivors recall terrifying scene as cars piled up in Fort Worth

The NTSB’s report states two of the people who were killed had gotten out of their vehicles and were struck on the road. The other four were fatally injured while inside their vehicles.  

A total of 36 people were treated at area hospitals for their injuries, the report states. That number is lower than the 60 initially reported.

"All you could hear was metal crunching and cars hitting cars," said Nick Stevenson, crash victim. "When I came up over the hill it was just a mess and I didn’t have anywhere to go on the road, it was just ice once we topped the hill. I was trying to slow down, trying to get to the wall."

Stevenson says he didn’t have any time to react. The crash crushed his truck and leaving him trapped for more than two hours.

"My neck was hurting, my shoulders and neck were all burning and after the semi hit me, my back window broke out so it was very cold," he said.

The terrible tragedy prompted several lawmakers and political activists to question whether the road was properly treated for ice before the freeze.

RELATED: Lawmakers looking for answers about deadly Fort Worth pileup

State Rep. Ramon Romero, a Democrat whose district covers most of Fort Worth, blamed the private company that was hired to treat the lanes and argued it didn’t uphold its end of the deal.

NTSB investigators determined that in the days leading up to the crash, NTE Mobility Partners Segments 3 reported it had pre-treated the roads with an Ice Slicer NM brine solution. That solution was applied to the two southbound lanes in the area of the crash.

"The roads were fine up until 28th street, and then after that, where the wreck occurred was a bridge and it was like there was no treatment whatsoever, even the first responders were having to throw sand down just so you could stand up, it was just a sheet of ice," Stevenson said.

Road signs managed by the same company were displaying a warning message about icy conditions at the time of the crash, the report states.

RELATED: Nurse escapes crushed car in deadly Fort Worth pileup, continues walking to work

The NTSB said it is still conducting a more focused investigation into road treatment strategies used to address freezing conditions.

NTE Mobility Partners is helping with that investigation, along with the Texas Department of Transportation, the Fort Worth police and fire departments and other agencies.

"Somebody needs to be held accountable and they need to do their jobs," Stevenson said.

Sours: https://www.fox4news.com/news/ntsb-i-35w-in-fort-worth-was-treated-with-brine-solution-before-deadly-135-car-pileup

18-vehicle pile-up briefly shuts down I-35 in central Austin early Sunday morning

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A pile-up involving 18 vehicles briefly shut down part of I-35 in central Austin in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Police said that four cars were involved in an initial crash at about 3 a.m., with one of them rolling over.

However, another 14 vehicles ran into debris from the wreck and needed help from first responders at the scene.

The incident happened on the upper deck of N I-35 northbound at the 4500 block.

Austin-Travis County EMS said that 32 people were involved on the crash, but only one person was transported to a hospital with injuries described as non-life-threatening.

The road was closed as emergency crews worked to clean up the debris but has since reopened.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Austin-Travis County

Sours: https://www.kxan.com/traffic/18-vehicle-pile-up-briefly-shuts-down-i-35-in-central-austin-early-sunday-morning/
  1. Iron flask review
  2. San antonio slingshot rental
  3. Ukulele guitar center

Widow files lawsuit over husband’s death in icy I-35 Fort Worth pileup


FORT WORTH, Texas - A Fort Worth woman has filed a lawsuit related to the icy pileup on Interstate 35 in February that killed her husband.

He was one of six people killed in the chain reaction crash in the morning hours of February 11 that involved more than 130 vehicles on I-35W.

The lawsuit states that the Texas Department of Transportation and other entities responsible for maintaining the road failed to discover hazards or defects on the road and failed to de-ice and close the highway because of the conditions and failed to monitor the weather.

A preliminary NTSB investigation noted that the interstate had been treated with a brine solution two days prior to the crash.

The agency also said it would conduct an investigation to examine the road treatment strategies used to address the freezing conditions.

The suit is against entities public and private responsible for maintaining that road.

RELATED:6 dead, dozens injured in I-35W pileup in Fort Worth involving 135 vehicles

Sours: https://www.fox4news.com/news/widow-files-lawsuit-for-husbands-death-in-icy-i-35-fort-worth-pileup

NTSB Report Details Deadly 133-Car Pileup On I-35 In Fort Worth

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has released its preliminary report on February’s deadly pileup on I-35 in Fort Worth.

Six people were killed in the crash on southbound I-35 near the Northside Drive exit, including two people who got out of their vehicles then were fatally struck. There were 36 people who were taken to area hospitals for injuries.

The massive collision happened around 6 a.m. during heavy traffic on iced-over roads, spreading out about a .2 miles. The pileup involved 133 vehicles, including passenger cars, trucks and 18-wheelers

The NTSB said the area had experienced 36 straight hours of below freezing temperatures. Two days before the crash, workers pre-treated the lanes with a brine solution.

About four hours before the accident, there was light freezing rain and freezing mist. A little after 3 a.m. in the morning, an icy wreck took place about five miles north, prompting electronic road signs to flash "ICY CONDITIONS EXIST / PLEASE USE CAUTION."

The NTSB will continue its investigation to make sure roadways were properly treated for icy conditions. North Tarrant Express Mobility Partners Segments 3, The Texas Department of Transportation, the Fort Worth Police Department, the Fort Worth Fire Department and the Metropolitan Area EMS Authority are assisting the investigation.

Got a tip? Email Reporter Bill Zeeble at [email protected]. You can follow him on Twitter @bzeeble.

KERA News is made possible through the generosity of our members. If you find this reporting valuable, consider making a tax-deductible gift today. Thank you.

Sours: https://www.keranews.org/news/2021-04-22/ntsb-releases-report-on-deadly-i-35-pile-up-in-fort-worth

Up i35 pile

6 Deaths Confirmed In 133-Car Pileup On I-35

The crash happened around 6 a.m. during heavy traffic on iced-over roads. It was still dark outside and freezing rain was falling when emergency vehicles arrived on the scene.

Officials say cars slid and were unable to stop before crashing into one another, including an ambulance that was hit by another vehicle as it arrived at the scene.

Fort Worth police and emergency rescue officials said 65 people, which includes the 36 who were transported to the hospital, have sought medical care. All were adults.

Authorities have identified five of the people who died in the crash. They are Aaron Watson, 45, of Fort Worth; William Williams, 54; Christopher Vardy, 49, of Boyd; Michael Wells, 47, of Justin and Tiffany Gerred, 34, of Northlake.

More than 80 police units and 13 ambulances were on the scene of the crash.

Four police officers were injured, three on the way to work and one who was working the scene. All of the officers have been released from the hospital with minor injuries.

“This crash involves upwards of 100 vehicles, rolled over tractor trailers, just a complete annihilation of many of these vehicles,” Matt Zavadsky, with MedStar EMS in Fort Worth said.

Zavadsky added it could take a day or two, or even longer to clear the crash site of damaged and entangled vehicles.

“This was an unbelievable scene from the perspective of not only the scene safety issues, the multiple causalities that we had, it was dark, it was freezing cold, it was raining and freezing when the rain hit the ground," he said. "There were several first responders who are probably a little sore right now because they actually fell on the scene.”

Fort Worth Fire Chief Jim Davis said his team used hydraulic rescue equipment to free multiple people who were trapped in their cars.

“Please keep in your prayers the families who have lost a loved one in this massive fatality accident,” Fort Worth police officer Daniel Segura said. “In my almost 20 years in service, this is the first time ever that I see anything like this in Fort Worth.”

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price responded to the crash on Twitter, saying "my heart is breaking for our community as we come to learn about the extent of the losses we are experiencing from today’s accident."

Following the crash, there have been some allegations that the I-35 highway lanes were not properly treated in anticipation of the icy weather.

Some videos by passers-by on the highway show the pavement iced over where the collisions happened, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

But a spokesman for the North Tarrant Express Mobility Partners said the company was actively working to keep ice off the roads.

“NTE & NTE35W maintenance crews started pre-treating our corridors on Tuesday and have been spot treating since then,” spokesman Robert Hinkle told the Star-Telegram. “Our crews are now assisting emergency responders to manage the accident scene on 35W, and will continue treating the highways through the weekend and into next week.”

Texas State Senator Beverly Powell, who represents district 10 in North Texas, said her office is aware of the allegations that the I-35 lanes were not properly managed and will be investigating.

I-35 is backed up in both directions — from Interstate 30 to Interstate 820. Drivers should seek alternate routes.

Got a tip? Email Stella M. Chávez at [email protected] You can follow Stella on Twitter @stellamchavez.

KERA News is made possible through the generosity of our members. If you find this reporting valuable, consider making a tax-deductible gift today. Thank you.

Sours: https://www.keranews.org/news/2021-02-11/icy-roads-lead-to-deadly-100-car-pileup-on-i-35
FedEx Truck Slams Into 100-Car Pileup

I myself had 13 centimeters. I always dreamed of holding someone else's squeak in my hand. But you understand the village.

You will also be interested:

But this is wrong. You can't do that. "- Ima responds in a voice breaking with pleasure. These are the traditions. Ima.

20269 20270 20271 20272 20273